The Take Stock in Children helps low-income students achieve success by providing scholarships, mentors & hope.
We select Marion County Public School students during their 8th grade year. Students must be eligible for free or reduced lunch.
To be eligible to apply, students MUST meet the following criteria:
- Students must be in the 8th grade enrolled in a Marion County Public School
- Students must have a 2.5 unweighted Grade Point Average (C+ average or above in all classes)
- Families MUST meet the free/reduced lunch income eligibility guidelines
If you meet the eligibility requirements, please note the following:
- December 4th, 2020 (extended from the original date of November 23rd)– Completed Scholarship Applications are DUE online
- Applications must be completed and submitted online, with attached proof of income (copy of 2019 income taxes)
- If the family did not file income taxes for 2019, please email Meghan.Magamoll@marion.k12.fl.us to discuss the circumstances.
- If the family cannot complete the forms online, please contact our office directly.
- Families will be notified of their application status by March 2021
- Eligibility does not guarantee a student will be accepted. A limited number of students are accepted.
The selections process continues into the spring, and all students will be notified by staff or letter by March 2021 as to their application status. It is a competitive process, and students are selected by committees comprised of educators, civic leaders, and business sponsors from their own communities.
Students & Parents Sign a Performance Contract
Upon selection, scholars and their parents/guardians sign a contract agreeing to stay in school, maintain good grades, exhibit good behavior, remain crime-and drug-free, meet with their mentors once a week and attend Take Stock workshops and events. When a student completes the Take Stock in Children program, they will receive a 2 year college tuition scholarship, through a partnership with the Florida Prepaid Foundation/Project Stars.