Save the Date: 34th Golden Apple Gala – February 3rd, 2024
Congratulations to Our 2023 Teacher of the Year:
Lindsey Bigelow, Ocala Springs Elementary
Congratulations to Our 2023 Rookie Teacher of the Year:
Jennifer Bachmaier, Hammett L. Bowen Jr. Elementary
Thank You to Our Sponsors:
Golden Apple Teacher Recognition Program
The Golden Apple Teacher Recognition Program, developed in 1991, honors and rewards excellence in teaching. Each school selects their teacher of the year, who then participates in the selection process. Each year five outstanding teachers are named Golden Apple Teachers and become members of the Golden Apple Academy, a growing association of exceptional educators. Of the Golden Apples, one is named as Marion County’s Teacher of the Year at the Golden Apple Gala. The Public Education Foundation also selects the Rookie Teacher of the Year representing the newest educators in our school district.
The latest class of Golden Apple teachers includes:
- Nedra Huggins – Belleview Middle School
- Huggins teaches Introduction to Health Sciences to sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. She has 20 years of classroom teaching experience including 15 with MCPS.
- John Gibb – Lake Weir High School
- Gibb teaches Pre-International Baccalaureate English to ninth- and 10th grade students. His seven years of experience have all taken place in MCPS classrooms.
- Jamie Roche – Maplewood Elementary School
- Roche is an art teacher who comes into contact with every student on campus throughout the week. Roche’s 23 years of teaching experience have all been with MCPS.
- Lindsey Bigelow – Ocala Springs Elementary School
- Bigelow teaches first grade and has 10 years of teaching experience, all with MCPS.
- Cheryl Goldner – Saddlewood Elementary School
- Goldner teaches math and science to fourth-grade students. She joined the district six years ago and has 29 years of classroom experience.
Golden Apple Academy
The Golden Apple Academy is composed of the top five teachers and top rookie teacher of Marion County every year. It is a growing association of exceptional educators. Once a member of the Academy, the goal is to support and lift up our educators that are making a positive impact on our children.
Golden Apple Gala
The Golden Apple Teacher Recognition Gala is an annual event held to honor Marion County’s outstanding educators. Each school based Teacher of the Year and Rookie Teacher of the Year will be recognized for their outstanding accomplishments in the classroom.