About Take Stock in Children
Take Stock in Children provides a unique opportunity for deserving low-income youth/students, many from minority families, to escape the cycle of poverty through education. We offer our students college scholarships, caring volunteer mentors and hope for a better life. Our comprehensive services start in middle school, continue through high school and include their transition into college.
Our program is based on the principal that given extensive support, motivation and accountability, children will work hard to ensure that they graduate from high school and attain a college degree. We fund our college scholarships and student services through a unique public-private fund raising model, and our mentors generously volunteer their mentoring services to our children.
Take Stock in Children’s multi-year commitment to at-risk children throughout our state is also an investment in the communities in which our students live. We know that the education of a child is an investment in their future and the assured way of breaking the cycle of poverty. Our goal is to continue to reduce the number of high school drop-outs and to increase the number of students who finish college and enter the workforce successfully.
Since our inception in 1995, Take Stock in Children has demonstrated its success and sustainability by delivering life changing results for our students.
- Marion County has served over 750 children
- Statewide has served over 24,000 children
- Marion County has provided over $3.2 million in Florida Prepaid Foundation scholarship assets
- Marion County currently has 197 active high school students-each one working with an assigned volunteer mentor
- Statewide has generated over 1,000,000 mentor volunteer hours.
- Current student population consists of over 65% minority
Please join us as a mentor or donate to Take Stock in Children. Your commitment and support will pave the way to better lives for deserving children in our communities.